Phenomenology:

"Phenomenology of religion concerns the experiential aspect of religion, describing religious phenomena in terms consistent with the orientation of the worshippers. It views religion as being made up of different components, and studies these components across religious traditions so that an understanding of them can be gained." Wikipedia, "Phenomenology of Religion"

Friday, April 14, 2017

Triduum Musical Reflection #2 :: Good Friday | All These Things I've Done

"All These Things That I've Done" by The Killers

This song is about a life lived, and searching for acknowledgement of that life. Things have gotten desperate but not hopeless. I imagine Jesus singing this song on his last day. 

Today I participated in my local church's Stations of the Cross, which takes two hours and is a full passion play though the streets. There were estimated about 2,000 people taking this walk, this pilgrimage, in the streets of Chicago. The police were blocking the streets and I could not help but think this walk had to be similar to the one Jesus took, with onlookers and questionable law enforcement everywhere. What was going through Jesus's mind during that walk?

When there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son

I want to shine on in the hearts of men
I want a meaning from the back of my broken hand

I am so much older than I can take

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier

Yeah, you know you got to help me out
Yeah, oh don't you put me on the backburner

While everyone's lost, the battle is won
With all these things that I've done

Listen to the song, and think of the Stations of the Cross. Think of Jesus's journey, not just today but through his life - coming to this moment, his death. Jesus made his sacrifices for us, for the unimaginable love of God for us. What do we make sacrifices for? What do we think about on the road to those sacrifices?

No comments:

Post a Comment